Thursday, May 27, 2010

Time to catch up!

I know, where have I been!
My schedule has been hectic. Weddings, car shows & senior portraits are taking up my time, that is a good thing.
Today I'm explaining a interesting wedding preparation. I met with a bride and groom to discuss the time line for their special day. The first thing they mention "We want the photo session at 4pm, 2 hours before the wedding outside". Do you know what the lighting and weather is like in May, in the southwest is like...Harsh and Hot! So what did I do?
I scouted the venue one week prior to the ceremony at the exact time they requested, and found no shade to eliminate the the HARSH light. I knew I would need to use fill flash at a high shutter speed, in my case sync of 200, 580 EX II & Canon 5D to use as fill. The sun was coming in at a 90 degrees to the subjects. This was due to the background that was suitable for the shot.
Did I say I love a challenge?
This setup turned out to work, which created a highlight to one side of the groom and groomsmen.
As a wedding photographer you have to be patient when shooting a large wedding party, not all of them show up on time, this is a good time to shoot the bride and groom with idividuals in the party. That time usually relaxes everybody for the formal shots.
Dont be affraid to suggest changing the style of the shoot due to weather conditions, just explain to the bride and groom how it will affect the outcome of the photos.

No comments: